Friday, August 21, 2009

Birthday Party

It's been almost 2 weeks since Asher's Birthday party - way too long!

The theme this year was Pinewood Derby.
Asher is so, so, SO interested in cars, trucks, motorcycles, trains, planes...anything that has an engine and goes!
His favorite movie is Cars (which he calls "race cars and trucks") and he loves races, but I didn't want to do anything Disney or Nascar.
One evening when we were talking about it, the idea of a Pinewood Derby popped into my head. It must have been divine inspiration, because I have absolutely no experience with the Pinewood Derby. My younger brother is a boy scout, but he didn't make his first car until I was out of the house.

Anyway, I made up this invitation
And attached a pinewood derby car with race-themed ribbon.

Matt made a car and so did I (all by myself! mostly.)

The day of the party we built a little track out of hard board and molding. We'd thought about renting one, but decided in the end that building a shorter, simpler track would be better for our party. Boy are we glad we did! Ash plays with his race track ALL the time!

At the party we barbecued and hung out for a bit,

then the weigh in began.

Asher presided over the scales.


It was very serious business.



Once everyone was checked in, we started the races.


Asher told daddy "Marks, set, GO!" and daddy lifted the gate.

Tessa waved a couple of tiny checkered flags she colored and cut out at the finish line.

And mommy took pictures so we could tell who the winners were (those cars were fast!)

After several heats Joey was declared the winner, Colby took 2nd place and Papa took 3rd.
The race was a BLAST.
The cars everyone made were really fun - probably the best part for Asher. Check out how gorgeous some of these turned out!


After racing, Asher opened gifts and we had treats - stoplight colored sugar cookies (Asher's favorite kind) and checkered flag ice cream from Breyers.
It was a really fun Birthday party - Ash loves spending time with his family - especially racing cars! Thanks so much to everyone who made a pinewood for him - he plays with them often :)

More pictures here!

3 comments:

Ramona said...

This is so creative! I LOVE it! The cars turned out so cute. It looks like you all had a great time!

Jess and Brandon said...

What a great idea!! Such a fun and creative mom you are. I love everything you did, and such an awesome theme! Asher is so lucky :)

Rachelle said...

It looks like a lot of fun. I just love my kids' birthday parties.